Computing Code Sec. 1231 Gains and Losses

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Code Sec. 1231 applies to gains and losses from property used in the trade or business and from involuntary conversions. Normally, you have to determine whether property is a capital asset or is ordinary income property. Property generally can't be both. However, Code Sec. 1231 allows you to "have it" both ways. Any gains are taxed at low capital gains rates (generally 15 percent for 2012), and any losses are treated as ordinary losses, taxable at more favorable ordinary loss rates, and available (without limit) to offset other ordinary income.

Who qualifies?

Code Sec. 1231 gains include:

--Recognized gains on the sale or exchange of property used in the trade or business; and

--Recognized gains from the involuntary or compulsory conversion (into money or other property) of property used in a trade or business, or of property held for more than one year and either used in the trade or business or used in a transaction entered into for profit.

Property used in a trade or business is property that is subject to depreciation and held by the taxpayer for more than one year.

Code Sec. 1231 losses are any recognized loss from a sale, exchange, or conversion of the same categories of property.

A win-win equation

Gains and losses from these transactions are referred to as Code Sec. 1231 gains and Code Sec. 1231 losses. The character of the gain or loss depends on whether Code Sec. 1231 gains exceed Code Sec. 1231 losses for the tax year. If the Code Sec. 1231 gains exceed the Code Sec. 1231 losses, then all of the Code Sec. 1231 gains and losses are treated as long-term capital gains and losses. The result is a net long-term capital gain. This amount can then be netted with other capital gains and losses.

Code Sec. 1231 does not apply to depreciation that must be recaptured as ordinary income under either Code Sec. 1245 (depreciable personal property and certain real property) or Code Sec. 1250 (depreciable real property that is not Code Sec. 1245 property).

If, however, the Code Sec. 1231 losses equal or exceed the Code Sec. 1231 gains, then all of the Code Sec. 1231 gains and losses are treated as ordinary income and losses. The net result is an ordinary loss, which can offset other ordinary income.

Posted in Tax And Accounting Topics For Business

Disclaimer: The information contained in Dulin, Ward & DeWald’s blog is provided for general educational purposes only and should not be construed as financial or legal advice on any subject matter. Before taking any action based on this information, we strongly encourage you to consult competent legal, accounting or other professional advice about your specific situation. Questions on blog posts may be submitted to your DWD representative.

"Bruner Dental has been with DWD for well over 15 years. The entire team at DWD has been helpful in many ways. From simple questions day to day, to audits, payroll needs, and much more; they…"

Rondell Nelson

Bruner Dental