Filing an Amended Return

Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2019

A nonprofit may discover that its previously filed Form 990 was incorrect.  This may be due to a bookkeeping error, an oversight, or for some other reason.  When this occurs, the organization should determine whether an amended return should be filed.  Normally an amended return should be filed under the following circumstances.

When an amended return is needed, the entire Form 990, along with any required schedules needs to be refiled.  In addition, the “amended return” box on page 1 of the return should be checked.  The organization should also include an explanation on Schedule O as to the reason for the amended return and which parts of the return were changed.  If a copy of the original Form 990 was filed with the state, a copy of the amended return should also be sent to the state.  As with any 990, amended returns should also be made available to the public.

Posted by: Carrie Minnich, CPA

Posted in Mission Minded Nonprofits

Disclaimer: The information contained in Dulin, Ward & DeWald’s blog is provided for general educational purposes only and should not be construed as financial or legal advice on any subject matter. Before taking any action based on this information, we strongly encourage you to consult competent legal, accounting or other professional advice about your specific situation. Questions on blog posts may be submitted to your DWD representative.

"Bruner Dental has been with DWD for well over 15 years. The entire team at DWD has been helpful in many ways. From simple questions day to day, to audits, payroll needs, and much more; they…"

Rondell Nelson

Bruner Dental