Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2019 Share
As we approach the end of the year, here are a few reminders to be sure your nonprofit addresses to wrap up 2019 and get ready for 2020.
- Send thank you letters to donors for their support. See our previous blog, Contribution Substantiation, for specifics to include in the documentation.
- If not already done, collect information needed for 1099s. See our previous blog, Form 1099-MISC, for items needed.
- Prepare W-2s and other annual payroll returns.
- Remind employees to complete a new W-4 for any changes to their withholdings. See our previous blog, Form W-4, Employees Withholding Allowance Certificate, for changes to the form in 2020.
- Prepare your annual Form 990 or gather information needed to provide to your CPA to prepare the form. Form 990 for organizations with a December 31 year-end are due May 15th. To make sure your organization is filing the correct return, see our previous blog, Nonprofit Federal Filing Basics.
- If not already, done prepare next year’s budget. See our previous blog, The Budgeting Process, on assistance with the process.
- File any reports required by grantors.
- If your Indiana organization receives any funding from the government (federal, state or local), file Form E-1, Entity Annual Report with the State Board of Accounts within 60 days of year-end.
- Contact your auditor to schedule your year-end audit.
Posted by: Carrie Minnich, CPA
Posted in Mission Minded Nonprofits
Disclaimer: The information contained in Dulin, Ward & DeWald’s blog is provided for general educational purposes only and should not be construed as financial or legal advice on any subject matter. Before taking any action based on this information, we strongly encourage you to consult competent legal, accounting or other professional advice about your specific situation. Questions on blog posts may be submitted to your DWD representative.