Business Tax FAQs

What are the deductibility rules for meals & entertainment?

In order to deduct meals & entertainment expenditures there must be a determination of purpose. Why am I incurring these expenses? The general rule is the expenses must be ordinary, necessary, and directly related to the purpose for which you are wanting a deduction. For example; meals incurred while making a pit stop on the way to a client serves no business purpose and is not deductible, but dining with your client (which usually serves a business purpose) is deductible to your business. You or an employee must be present. If an employee or you is traveling overnight there are additional rules to deduct meals consumed that are not with a client.

Entertainment expenses are an expense commonly used to create “goodwill.” These generally are event expenses, shows, ball games, etc. You do not necessarily need to be present to be able to deduct. The general rule for these expenses is they must not be extravagant or lavish.

The deductibility percentage is limited to 50% of the incurred expenses. There are special rules that can qualify for 100% deductibility. For more information on meals & entertainment please click here.

Should I be a Partnership or S-Corporation

Whether you are starting a business or looking at switching entity formations, you need to consider the advantages and disadvantages for each. There is no one entity that is superior to one another. The purpose of the taxpayer determines the entity structure that is better desired to operate their company from an accounting and tax perspective.

Common Partnership Advantages and Disadvantages



Common S-Corporation Advantages and Disadvantages



Additional resources can be found on our blog:

Limit Liability and Cut Taxes with an LLC

Why Use a Partnership Instead of an S-Corp?

Understanding the Benefits of S-Corps

What is a like-kind exchange?

Often in our client’s business, they have the opportunity to sell some of their property to a 3rd party and with highly appreciated fixed assets this could result in large gains and subsequently substantial taxes. Fortunately, congress, as far back as 1921, realized that in order to stimulate growth something needed to be enacted to allow investors to invest their gains to acquire additional investment property.  Broadly defined then, it is now known as our §1031, like-kind exchange.

In order to qualify for a §1031 exchange you must meet these conditions:

Because like-kind exchanges can become complicated there are many additional rules and factors that come into play. Please click here for additional information.

Do I need an employer identification number (EIN)?

DWD recommends that a taxpayer which is formed under any legal formation other than a sole proprietor apply for an employer identification number (EIN).  In fact, if you are a trust (except grantor trusts), estate, corporation, or partnership, you are required to have an EIN. Applying for an EIN is free.

In addition to the above requirement, an EIN is required if you answer yes to any of the following questions.

Are you involved with any of the following types of organizations?

Please click here for more information and how to apply for an EIN.

What transportation expenses are considered deductible?

Deductible transportation costs are those costs, other than commuting costs, of transporting a person from one place to another in pursuit of a trade or business or an income-producing activity while that person is not away from home overnight or for a period requiring sleep or rest.

Examples of deductible transportation costs include the expense incurred in traveling by plane, train, bus and taxi, and the business-related portion of the cost of operating and maintaining an automobile or other operating costs, including parking and tolls.

Instead of actual expenses, a taxpayer can choose to deduct standard mileage for their automobile expenses. Generally, for mileage to be deductible, the transportation must not be commuting mileage.  Commuting mileage is defined as the miles from your home to your main place of work. Your deduction is determined by multiplying your business mileage by the standard mileage rate. You must have a mileage log of your qualified business mileage prior to claiming the deduction. The link below has the updated 2017 standard mileage rates.

2017 Standard Mileage Rates

"Bruner Dental has been with DWD for well over 15 years. The entire team at DWD has been helpful in many ways. From simple questions day to day, to audits, payroll needs, and much more; they…"

Rondell Nelson

Bruner Dental